Details of a permanent play area for East Wichel have been given in a planning application (S/RES/13/1884) submitted by Swindon Borough Council. The area will be beyond the eastern end of the school playing fields and community centre, near Fernacre Road. The play area will include:
- a spring mounted eagle’s nest;
- a double swing;
- a ‘fairytale throne’surrounded by 10 pole seats;
- a carrier (a frame with various assault-course style games on it);
- an embankment slide;
- balance beams with rope;
- an ‘orbit’ (a small roundabout);
- a midi birds nest tree (an arrangement of suspended rope climbing frames);
- a wacky spinner (a spinning, rocking stool); and
- a multi-use games area (an enclosed sports pitch).
The play area will be split into 2 zones — one designed for children of the ages 2 to 6 years and the other for ages 6 to 14 years — and be landscaped with logs, rocks, shrubs and trees. The whole area will be encircled by footpath.
A decision on the planning application is due by early March.